Book Blogger Hop; Books in a Foreign Language vs English

It's a new Friday, which means it's time for a new Book Blogger Hop-post, thanks to the blogger behind Ramblings of a Coffee Addicted Writer.

The question of the week was "Have you ever r ead a book written in a foreign language you might be fluent in, and then read the same book in English?"

In my case, it depends largely on the original language, as I can read both Danish and Swedish fluently, besides English and Norwegian (the latter one is my mother tongue). If the book is written in a language I'm fluent in, I read that version only, as I've seen that it often varies how good the translations are (please don't even get me started on all those stupid bloopers I've seen throughout the years in terms of English to Norwegian translations - it ruins the whole experience).

Comments

  1. It's AWESOME that you know FOUR languages!

    You're so right that translations vary in quality. I can read English and Spanish, and have seen some truly ATROCIOUS translations in Spanish.

    If I LOVE a book, whether in English or Spanish, I will read it in both languages. Crazy, perhaps, but that's an excuse to not let go of the book. Lol.

    Thanks for sharing! Have a WONDERFUL weekend!! <3 :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can only read in one language, unfortunately, and I admire you for being fluent in several! I imagine there can be quite a few differences found in translations, both good and bad. I think I'd be annoyed by some of the errors as well.

    Thank you for sharing! I hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how closely linked the Scandinavian languages are! I taught myself Danish (starting a few years back). I'd say I'm at an intermediate level at present and could only read easier books, but knowing Danish means I can also get by in Swedish and Norwegian--at least enough to understand a little when I hear it spoken or see it written. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love to know what the differences between languages are! I'm sure I'm missing something as someone who can only read English.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Spotlight; Dancing in the Rain av Lucy Appadoo

Review; The Prettiest Girl in the Grave by Kristopher Triana

Annoncing the 2023 Diversity Reading Challenge